Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Game of Thrones - Episode 1 - "Winter is Coming"

I wasn't planning on writing anything substantive about the premiere of Game of Thrones on HBO, but then I figured - why not? This won't be a review per se (there are plenty of those out there already) but more just my general impressions, focusing on how close it hews to the book or if there are any substantive changes that I either like or dislike. For anyone wanting to read an actual review of the show, please check out What's Alan Watching at Hitfix. His reviews are always interesting, and I have great respect for him as a TV critic. Plus, he's never read the books so you get a fresh take on the show.

Spoiler-filled discussion after the jump.

Now that the preamble is out of the way, what did I think? In short - I loved it. I thought the ambience of the show was perfect, they nailed the look and feel of Westeros (and of Pentos), and the costuming was equally great. I didn't have a complaint with any of the actors, or the writing. Obviously a lot of exposition was needed in the early episode, as we have to learn about the history of Westeros through dialogue. The recent history of Robert's Rebellion is a huge deal, and the driving force of much of the story, and in television we can only hear people talk about it, we don't get to look inside their heads. I still think it was handled well.

One thing I noticed, and I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, is that every character trait seems exagerrated to some extent. That is probably intentional, to give the viewing audience a shorthand to understand who a character is. Some examples: Tyrion drunk and lying with several whores (shows us Tyrion loves the drink and the ladies, and enjoys a good time); Robert drunk and getting intimate with a serving woman in front of the queen and all of Winterfell (Robert is a boisterous whoring drunk); and even Arya shooting the bullseye when Bran couldn't even hit the target at all (look! Arya is a tomboy!). Like I said, I think moves like this help the audience relate to the characters, as they don't get to "hear" Arya think about how much she prefers swords and getting dirty as opposed to working on her needlework.

The actors all seemed to fit their characters perfectly. Understandably HBO aged the characters for the television audience, something that I'm definitely okay with. I always pictured the characters as older than they actually were as I read the books anyway. I knew Sean Bean would be great as Ned, and Peter Dinklage was born to play Tyrion, but the others were surprising. The girl that played Arya (in the future I'll try to learn the actors names, but for this post just bear with me), anyway I thought she had just the right mischievious look about her. Jaime didn't look like how I pictured him, but I think I actually like how he looks in the show better than my mental image (that doesn't happen often). Viserys was actually great, but if anything I pictured him as more intimidating in my reading. Daenerys is beautiful and looks the part, but time will tell if her acting chops are up to it.

Okay, that's my rambling thoughts, and a few more quick nitpicks that I had.
  • The "white walker" looked nothing like I pictured. I pictured something almost like a tall pale creature with white hair and armor made of ice - so they actually looked "white." I think the creepy armored blue-eyed creature works though, and the sword they used looked made of ice. And the sound effects were of ice cracking - which I thought they nailed.
  • Catelyn tried to talk Ned out of going South, even after receiving Lysa's letter - a definite change and one that I think makes her more sympathetic, but also makes her seem weaker. I didn't like that Cat pushed Ned to go, but it did show she was much more politically astute than Ned was. I will have to see how Cat acts in future episodes before I form a definite opinion.
  • I did not like Drogo and Dany's wedding night. Instead of Drogo seducing Dany, showing that he was actually gentle and caring instead of just a savage, we see something that is borderline rape. Dany was his wife, and this was her wedding night, but however you want to phrase it their sex did not seem consensual. This paints Drogo in a much different light than in the book.
Those are my thoughts, what did everyone else think?

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I had to explain to April that the whole wedding night thing was 'more sensual and less rapey'. I happened to mention the part about 'if there's not more than 3 deaths, the wedding is a failure!' right before Illyrio did.

    For the first few minutes, I had trouble telling who was supposed to be Robb and who was supposed to be Jon. And I guess I kinda wished they did the finding of the direwolves a little... different? better? I don't know.

    I saw a review somewhere that called the Others the "Wight Walkers" - which although is wrong, I liked. If you've never read the books, I can see where you'd make that mistake.

    I actually wasn't as much of a fan of Jamie's character vs what I pictured in my head. But it'll do - and Joffrey already looks like a little shit - even if he hasn't done anything yet. I do wish there was some Jamie/Cersei dialogue for Bran to overhear - might have helped the audience a little.

    I guess that's all the rambling I can think of for now... I'm curious to see how they handle the direwolves as they start to grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts!

    Overall I LOVED it and was so happy/relieved at how true the episode stayed to the books. You pretty much covered my very minor problems with it. I think the time crunch somewhat justifies the wedding night scene- without lots more time to spend, it would be hard to make sense out of Dany enjoying the first time, and then suffering through the next couple weeks, before finally loving Drogo. We'll see where it goes from here, but it could turn out to be ok for a new audience.

    I was a little worried about naive viewers being able to follow everything. I watched it with three people who never read the books, and they had to pause it at several points to ask who people are and what's going on. Also they could have made it clear that Jon Snow was a bastard- by the time that was explained, new people missed a lot of relevant things, e.g. the stink eye from Catelyn, the relevance of initially not giving himself a wolf, etc. But HBO renewed it for season 2 so I guess it wasn't too confusing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping for the Purple Nurple scene between Viscerys and Danny...

    Also I think they mixed up the two men in black in the prologue (opening scene) which one survived and which was killed. And according to HBO, that kid outran the amazingly fast whitewalkers... how was that possible?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tyrant - the opening scene was changed a lot from the book, but I was okay with it. In the prologue the Other killed Waymar, and then zombie Waymar killed Will leading Gared to desert. Instead the Other killed Waymar and Gared, and Will escaped.

    As for how he escaped the fast white walker? I'm also curious how he made it back through the Wall without the rest of the Watch noticing, and then making it all the way to Winterfell on foot!

    ReplyDelete